There’s only one Authentic Original™ Boat Shoe, but there are lots of ways to tie a boat shoe knot and make it your own. Want to learn how to tie a Barrel Knot, Chain Knot, Fishtail Knot, or Tassel Knot, or looking for tips on how to re-lace your boat shoes? You’ve come to the right place.
The Barrel Boat Shoe Knot
Whether you call it the barrel lace, the heaving knot, or something else, this is a classic boat shoe knot that brings boatloads of compliments.
See how to tie a barrel boat shoe knot.
- Fold the lace over itself, making a loop. Twist the Loop.
- Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 5 times.
- Thread the end of the lace through the end of the loop and pull the end of the lace while pushing the knot to tighten.
- Trim any excess lace.
The Chain Boat Shoe Knot
The chain boat shoe knot was inspired by a sailing knot of the same name that’s used to decorate or shorten a rope. To untie this boat shoe knot, simply tug hard on each of the ends of the chain knots.
See how to tie a chain boat shoe knot.
- Make a loop, making sure the lace is coming across the front.
- Make a second loop with your other hand.
- Push the second loop through the first one, going in from the back.
- Pull to tighten.
- Repeat 2-3 more times.
- Tuck the end of the lace into the final loop at the end of each knot.
- Tuck the ends of each chain into each other.
The Fishtail Boat Shoe Knot
There are plenty of fish in the sea but only one fishtail boat shoe knot. Make your Sperry boat shoe your own by using this distinctive technique.
See how to tie a fishtail boat shoe knot.
- Insert the laces into the eyelets running vertically.
- Cross your laces and bring each side up and over the loop on the opposite side.
- Repeat this step 3 times (following the steps from left to right).
- Tighten and trim any excess lace.
- Tuck the ends of the laces behind the braid.
The Tassel Boat Shoe Knot
Adding a “twist” to the barrel knot, the tassel knot is another stylish way to avoid retying your shoes every time that you put them on.
See how to tie a tassel boat shoe knot.
- Cross your laces left over right and then right over left to make a square knot (follow steps from left to right).
- Hold one lace to form a loop.
- Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 3 times.
- Tuck the end in and tighten.
How to Relace Your Boat Shoes
You’re an original and your style should be too. Adding a smart touch to your boat shoes with colorful laces will make your Authentic Original™ Boat Shoes authentically yours!
See how to relace your boat shoes.
- With a pair of scissors, taper the end of the lace.*
- Place the end of the lace into the needle. You may want to wrap the lace and needle with tape, so the lace doesn’t fall out of the needle.
- Begin by lacing through the inside of the bottom eyelet on one side.
- Push the needle through each eyelet.
- Flatten the back of the shoe to let the needle in easier.
- Thread the needle through the outside of the last eyelet on the bottom.
- Remove the needle from the lace.
- Finish by crossing the laces through the last eyelets.
*For best results, use the Sperry lace kit.
Want to find out more about Sperry shoes?
Ready to shop
Find the complete Sperry collection for men, women, and kids.