Browse through our Lacing Guide to learn how to lace your boat shoes with a few of our favorite knots.
There’s only one Authentic Original, but there are lots of ways to tie it and make it your own. Want to learn how to tie a Barrel Knot, Chain Knot, Fishtail Knot, Tassel Knot, or looking for tips on how to re-lace your boat shoes? You’ve come to the right place.
HOW TO TIE SPERRYS: THE BARREL KNOT
Whether you call it the barrel lace, the heaving knot, or something else, one thing is clear: it’s a classic boat shoe look that brings boatloads of compliments.
Here’s a step-by-step list on how to tie the barrel knot:
- Fold the lace over itself, making a loop. Twist the Loop.
- Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 5 times.
- Thread the end of the lace through the end of the loop and pull the end of the lace while pushing the knot to tighten.
- Trim any excess lace.
HOW TO TIE SPERRYS: THE CHAIN KNOT
The chain lace is inspired by a sailing knot of the same name used to decorate or shorten a rope. Fun fact: to untie this knot, simply tug hard on each of the ends of the chain knots.
Here are a few quick and easy steps on how to tie the chain knot:
- Make a loop, making sure the lace is coming across the front.
- Make a second loop with your other hand.
- Push the second loop through the first one, going in from the back.
- Pull to tighten.
- Repeat 2-3 more times.
- Tuck the end of the lace into the final loop at the end of each knot.
- Tuck the ends of each chain into each other.
HOW TO TIE SPERRYS: THE FISHTAIL KNOT
There are plenty of fish in the sea. The best way to make your A/O your own is by tying them using this unique technique.
Here’s how you can tie your own fishtail knot:
- Insert the laces into the eyelets running vertically.
- Cross your laces and bring each side up and over the loop on the opposite side.
- Repeat this step 3 times (following the steps from left to right).
- Tighten and trim any excess lace.
- Tuck the ends of the laces behind the braid.
HOW TO TIE SPERRYS: THE TASSEL KNOT
The Tassel Knot puts a “twist” on the barrel knot and is another fun way to avoid retying your shoes every time that you put them on.
Here’s how you can tie the Tassel knot:
- Cross your laces left over right and then right over left to make a square knot (follow steps from left to the right).
- Hold one lace to form a loop.
- Wrap the remaining lace around the loop 3 times.
- Tuck the end in and tighten.
HOW TO RELACE BOAT SHOES
Let’s make things personal. You’re an original and your style should be too. Customize your boat shoes with a pop of color laces to make them all your own.
Here we’ll teach you how to relace your boat shoes step-by-step:
- Taper the end of the lace (use the Sperry relacing kit and a pair of scissors)
- Place the end of the lace into the needle.
*Pro Tip: You May Also Want To Wrap The Lace And Needle With Tape So That The Lace Does Not Fall Out Of The Needle.
- Begin by lacing through the inside of the bottom eyelet on one side.
- Push the needle through each eyelet.
- Flatten the back of the shoe to let the needle in easier.
- Thread the needle through the outside of the last eyelet on the bottom.
- Remove the needle from the lace.
- Finish by crossing the laces through the last eyelets.